Predicted tech & media trends in 2022
Predicted tech & media trends in 2022 Plus several job openings! View this email in your browser
Hi NYC Media Lab friends and colleagues!
Well, it’s hard to know what to say about 2021. It was both exhilarating and at times overwhelming. I’m sure you’ve felt a bit of both, we certainly have. The NYC Media Lab’s year was full of exciting conversations, technological advances, and partnership projects. If you’re looking for some holiday inspiration, you’re invited to watch the ones you missed on our YouTube Channel.
We’re already hard at work planning for a groundbreaking 2022, we’ve got lots of news coming, and we can even share today we’re going to add an Associate Director of Marketing to our team. So, if you think it’s a role for you — or someone you know — send us a note at email@example.com.
Have a good, safe, Happy Holiday, we’ll see you in the new year!
NYC Media Lab
firstname.lastname@example.org NEW & NOTEWORTHY LAST CALL: Apply for the AI & Local News Challenge by Dec 19!
Last call to apply for our AI & Local News Challenge — submit your application by Sun, Dec 19th at 11:59pm ET!
Here are the specifics of the challenge at-a-glance:
- The AI & Local News Challenge is an opportunity for startups and university teams to develop projects that use AI to address the needs of news organizations
- Applications are open to university teams (faculty and graduate students), startup teams, and teams based at news organizations
- Each participating team will receive up to $7,500
- The application deadline is December 19, 2021
- The program starts January 31, 2022
ICYMI, Watch Our Recording of “AI Tools for Media & News”
Virtual Event: AI Tools for Media & News
During our “AI Tools for Media & News” event on November 18th, we connected with media experts who are working to implement specific AI tools in newsrooms. We discussed AI for data visualization, story automation, paywalls, and more.
Expert panelists included:
- Jay Allred, President of Richland Source & Co-Founder of Lede AI
- Cynthia DuBose, Managing Editor of Audience Engagement at McClatchy
- Gordon Edall, Vice President of Sophi.io
- Matt MacVey (Moderator), Community & Project Lead for AI & Local News Initiative at NYC Media Lab
In case you missed it, you can watch the full event recording on NYC Media Lab’s YouTube channel.
The Best of NYC Media Lab in 2021
Despite the uncertainty 2021 brought, the NYCML team continued to show resilience in the face of adversity. While we pride ourselves on being forward-thinking, we also recognize the importance of pausing, acknowledging, and celebrating our accomplishments to date.
So in the spirit of motivational reflection, we present you with NYC Media Lab’s “Best of 2021” list:
- Technology + Storytelling: Engaging the Immersive Future — We brought together creators, technologists, and filmmakers to share their cutting-edge work and explore the ever-changing methods of storytelling in an immersive world.
- Machines + Media: Facing the Future — In partnership with Bloomberg, we gathered technologists, media professionals, and academic thought leaders to discuss how we can both embrace and manage the impact of technology on our increasingly essential media ecosystem.
- ASCAP Immersive Music Studio Challenge — In partnership with American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP), we worked with startups and university teams to explore new ways we can compose, experience, and interact with music.
- Synthetic Media Challenge: Exploring the Future of Storytelling — We sought out talented university teams to explore how emerging synthetic media production might impact the future of storytelling, giving form and expression to early-stage concepts.
- Summit 2021: Future Imperfect — Our two-day online conference brought together hundreds of virtual attendees from NYC Media Lab’s core community to explore the future of media and tech in New York City and beyond.
In case you missed an event, or want to pull an inspirational quote from an expert speaker, you can always rewatch our virtual events on NYC Media Lab’s YouTube channel. NYC Media Lab’s Predicted Tech & Media Trends of 2022
Now that you’ve seen our “Best of 2021” list, we’re ready to delve into 2022! Much has changed within the tech and media landscape in the last 12 months, and as we reflect on those changes, we’re making some informed predictions for the year ahead.
Here are NYC Media Lab’s predicted tech and media trends for 2022 (in no particular order):
1) Web3 growth
2) DHaaS aka Digital Humans as a Service
3) Government support for local news
4) TikTok’s influence on elections
5) Attempts at metaverse monopoly
6) Regulation of Big Tech
7) Blockchain gaming
8) Computer-generated stories
9) Metaverse reluctance: Did we learn our lesson from Facebook?
JOB OPENINGS We’re Hiring an Associate Director of Marketing
NYC Media Lab is looking for an Associate Director of Marketing! The position involves developing and implementing NYC Media Lab’s marketing, communications, events, and social media efforts that target specific audiences and stakeholders to increase brand awareness and membership.
Learn more and apply here!
The New York Times is Looking for a 3D Artist & Visual Storyteller
The New York Times is looking for a 3D artist and visual storyteller to join their Augmented Reality lab.
The artist will join a team of engineers, designers, and producers building speculative prototypes that model new workflows and user experiences for a near-future in which wearable-based AR interfaces are ubiquitous. These explorations will help model how journalism can exist as a contextual layer over the world. Interested? Learn more and apply.
Several Job Openings at MiSynth
Are you interested in working at the intersection of music and neurotechnology? MiSynth is looking to fill several positions, including Audio R&D Scientist, Market Research Intern, and TikTok Content Creator.
BEFORE 2021 ENDS… Make a Tax-Deductible Donation to the NYC Media Lab
Our core mission here at NYC Media Lab is to connect media and tech companies with NYC’s universities to drive innovation and talent development.
Friends of NYC Media Lab, before 2021 comes to a close, we invite you to help support our programs and initiatives with a tax-deductible donation on a one-time or recurring basis. Donations can easily be made online here.
However you choose to support us — through a monetary donation, event attendance, or newsletter subscription — we sincerely thank you for helping us to continue to connect, collaborate, and innovate through 2022 and beyond. Wishing you a healthy holiday season and a prosperous New Year! KEEP IN TOUCH
Follow us on social media!
We also publish 4 newsletters. Our monthly newsletter reaches 16,000+ students, faculty, startups, and innovators, and our DataDownload newsletter reaches 5,000+. Our Innovation Monitor newsletter reaches 1,000+ industry leaders, and our recently launched AI & Local News newsletter offers best practices at the intersection of AI and journalism. Subscribe here.
NYC Media Lab connects media and technology companies with NYC’s universities to drive innovation, entrepreneurship, and talent development. Visit our website or contact us at email@example.com with any questions or comments.